Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

The Coffee table

Go down 
+3
Propmin
brendan
Derek
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Derek
User

The Coffee table - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi all,
Some of you will know we have been having exceptionally cold weather in Europe, the UK and Ireland during the latter half of November and up to the present time. (As I recall, I cannot remember such a sustained period of cold and snow from mid November)

It has been continuously freezing for days here in the country. (The towns seem to be a few degrees warmer). I went outside just after 3 pm today, when the temperature should be somewhat warmer than in the morning, and it was still -5 degrees Celsius. We have less than three inches of snow here but the falls in Eastern England and Scotland have been exceptional, with some areas having a metre of snow.

My youngest, living in Yorkshire had great difficulty driving from work in town yesterday, when 16" of level snow fell.

Of course, because of our normally mild winters, most of England is not equipped for snowy winters.

regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Derek I hope your son got home OK and all that jaz. In Central London we have about 2 inches of snow. Its about zero where I am which is very unusual for early December. I'm just waiting for the uniformed to start saying there isn't any climate change, or if there is its not C02 but Gods punishment.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi Brian,
Yes, some have bizarre ideas. Smile

Actually, it is unseasonably 'warm' in Greenland atm, where the temperatures are higher than the UK.

Even with a number of areas in the Northern Hemisphere being cold last winter, overall the Northern Hemisphere had a very warm record year when the credits and debits were added up.

Global warming may indeed mean the UK having much more snow in winter. With wind flows and ocean currents perturbed by Climate Change.

As you know we are a long way north and could well be as cold as Labrador without the Gulf Stream warming us.
regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Seraphim wrote:
Hi Derek I hope your son got home OK and all that jaz. In Central London we have about 2 inches of snow. Its about zero where I am which is very unusual for early December. I'm just waiting for the uniformed to start saying there isn't any climate change, or if there is its not C02 but Gods punishment.

HEY...Brian...

Its a nice and balmy 70 degrees in Kansas today. Yep. I'm pretty sure that this proves.....nothing.

Im thinking about driving my 11 yr old Chevy around the block a few extra times. I might even exhale a few extra times just to help things along...

Did you know, Brian, that the increase in global temperatures clealy coincides with the fact that Pirates have been steadily declining in numbers from the waters of the Carribean since the 1600's? Want to see a chart?

OoooooOoooooOoooo.....

afro

Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 am

Derek wrote:
Hi Brian,
Yes, some have bizarre ideas. Smile

Actually, it is unseasonably 'warm' in Greenland atm, where the temperatures are higher than the UK.

Even with a number of areas in the Northern Hemisphere being cold last winter, overall the Northern Hemisphere had a very warm record year when the credits and debits were added up.

Global warming may indeed mean the UK having much more snow in winter. With wind flows and ocean currents perturbed by Climate Change.

As you know we are a long way north and could well be as cold as Labrador without the Gulf Stream warming us.
regards
Derek

Indeed Derek! It will be interesting to see what the 2010 record for global average temperatures turns out to be.

Hi Props. Nice to see you haven't lost your talent in logic.
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 3:44 am

Yeah, I like to tinker with logic now and then....kinda like making the deduction that since it snowed in London in December, somewhere humans must be still putting too much CO2 in the air....

2 + 2 = 5.

Perfectly 'logical'...

Hahahahaha....

flower
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 4:36 am

Full marks! Logic is only as good as the brain that wields it!
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 am

Hi Matt,
It is good to see you.

When we talk of logic, surely, when making comparisons, there has to be a relationship or else it's like the man tearing up pieces of paper and throwing them out the bus window!

When asked, "Why are you throwing pieces of paper out the window?" the man said,"It keeps the elephants away!" In reply the guy asking said to him, "But there aren't any elephants!!". So the guy put the lid on the questions and replied, "Yes, you see it works!" Smile

regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:57 am

Derek wrote:
Hi Matt,
It is good to see you.

When we talk of logic, surely, when making comparisons, there has to be a relationship or else it's like the man tearing up pieces of paper and throwing them out the bus window!

When asked, "Why are you throwing pieces of paper out the window?" the man said,"It keeps the elephants away!" In reply the guy asking said to him, "But there aren't any elephants!!". So the guy put the lid on the questions and replied, "Yes, you see it works!" Smile

regards
Derek

Hahahaha...thats great, man...

HEY...Brian...throw some paper out yer winda--thatl keep them deadly co2 molecules away from ya...

Hahahaha...I tell ya, you British folk make my day--

Peace to all!

flower
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:24 am

I'm glad I brought you some pleasure.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Brian,
Did you hear Marcus Brigstock on the Radio 4 "Now Show" today?

Seraphim wrote:
I'm glad I brought you some pleasure.
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 am

I didn't but I have now..... Indeed Derek!
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi guys,
Living well off the main road, the roads round here are absolutely treacherous with temperatures still down to -7 Celsius in the area at c.11am. After an extremely cold night thurs/fri there was a slight thaw overnight friday but it soon was freezing again and its made the country roads like ice rinks.
We have not been to town since thursday but have plenty of food in, and a warm wood fire and central heating. It seems its only the odd four wheel drive using the road passed our cottage.

The main road over the Peninnes south, the A66, which we use to go down to see relatives, has had the the snow gates closed for over a week. I think this is the ninth day day...it wouldn't surprise me if they have just given up!Smile

Yep, they have given up! https://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/detail.aspx?NewsAreaId=2&ReleaseID=416896&SubjectId=16&AdvancedSearch=true

This is exceptional for early December.
(update; road open today Dec. 6th but temperature outside here at 0900 -8.5 Celsius)

Global warming could well make the UK a much colder island!
Ironically much of Canada and Alaska are having much warmer temperatures than usual.
regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
Tessa
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 am

Hello Derek,

I am happy to hear a good report regarding your cancer.

Your freeze zone is not so good. I cannot imagine those icy temperatures. Indeed, I probably would not step outside the house. Shocked

For many years we have put up with the drought and the government imposed severe water restrictions. Beautiful old oaks and many other trees died in our parks and gardens. People thought it would never rain again. Well, now it has changed again with the drought years behind us. It is like living in the tropics. Flooding has occurred in many places. Now we think - will it ever cease raining!
However, I will not complain as those drought years were so severe. Our dams are filling and everywhere is emerald green. A desalination plant is in the process of being built - the largest in the Southern hemisphere - and of course the payments of our water bills will increase to triple. The government says it is 'old fashioned' to build dams and refused to consider that project even though it would be cheaper.

Cheers to you and family.
Tessa
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 am

Hi Tessa,
Good to hear from you, I hope you are well and enjoying the summer.....if not the Ashes! Smile

Thanks, my condition now is beyond our wildest dreams of over seven years ago when I faced a poor prognosis. God has been good to me and I have much to be thankful for.

Yes, the weather here also seems, at times, to get stuck in dry and wet and/or cold and warm phases.
Of course it is more pronounced in your country; a continent in itself, compared to our postage stamp sized land.
Our weather is normally very hard to predict well ahead because its influenced by the warmer Atlantic air.

The cold hasn't eased yet, but some Atlantic air my get in on thurday.
It never got above -4 degrees C after mid-day here today and at present, 2230 it is -13 Celsius in the area.
The other end of England, in London, at the moment, it is positively balmy, it's on 0 degrees C. Smile
WCL
Derek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Coffee table
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Articles & Commentaries :: Getting Acquainted :: Personal Interest :: The Coffee Table-
Jump to: