Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

The Coffee table

Go down 
+3
Propmin
brendan
Derek
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
brendan
User
brendan

The Coffee table - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 am

Hi Derek,

I was watching the Proms again and was able to record some terrific versions of various symphonies. On the last night, it gets a bit jingoistic from an outsider’s point of view. I try to look on the bright side and be glad we get a chance to see some wonderful orchestras and the only irritation might be 'God Save The Queen' or 'Britannia Rules The Waves'.

‘Jerusalem’ has pretty much been adopted as a second national anthem a bit like Verdi’s ‘Va Pensiero’ in Italy. Jerusalem is a song that I must love, like I love Ave Maria regardless of the words. But I looked into the lyrics of the song Jerusalem and found a mighty interesting piece of poetry by William Blake, I think. I was reminded of this when you mentioned N.T Wright.

If you are not familiar with the lyrics, you might enjoy Wikipedia’s page on it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_did_those_feet_in_ancient_time

I think the song rather laments the fact that, although the feet of Christ were supposed to have walked the land of England at one time, His wonderful aspirations for society were destroyed by the ‘dark Satanic mills’ of the Industrial Revolution.

This is where N.T Wright comes in. He has suggested that the mills are not the textile factories that destroyed community life and enslaved people, but were instead the established church in Britain.

Now that I understand ‘Jerusalem’ a little better, I appreciate it even more.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Brendan,
We Brits can all be quite Jingoistic when we let our hair down! Smile Wink
But not quite as bad as the guys who sing, "Scotland the brave!" Smile

I read your link.
N.T.Wright's view is interesting, particularly since he was the former C of E Bishop of Durham.

Jerusalem was the school song for the very working class senior school I went to in the East Midlands, AVLTO.
Regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
malkah
User
malkah

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

I can do a quick rendition of both "HaTikvah" and "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau" if you like (though not at the same time)

(I can do Flower of Scotland if you'd prefer - Roy Williamson was one of my all-time favourite singers.)
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 12:21 am

Hi Malkah,
How did you get a picture of the young Queen Bodicea? I didn't think they had cameras then! Smile

BTW, did you come across Gurning when you came to Cumbria? I taught young Dylan to Gurn when he was only three...mind you his grandad is a natural for it! Smile

I see you have a healthy sense of humour, Malkah.
It helps keep one sane.
blessings
Derek

malkah wrote:
I can do a quick rendition of both "HaTikvah" and "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau" if you like (though not at the same time)

(I can do Flower of Scotland if you'd prefer - Roy Williamson was one of my all-time favourite singers.)

Last edited by Derek on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
malkah
User
malkah

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 am

Derek wrote:
Hi Malkah,
How did you get a picture of the young Queen Bodicea? I didn't think they had cameras then! Smile

BTW, did you come across Gurning when you came to Cumbria? I taught young Dylan to Gurn when was only three...mind you his grandad is a natural for it! Smile

I see you have a healthy sense of humour, Malkah.
It helps keep one sane.
blessings
Derek

malkah wrote:

That's my daughter dressed up for last year's village fete. (she won first prize) She is indeed Boudica/Bodicea. We were walking through Chester dressed up like that and tourists kept stopping and asking for a photo. It was funny. Especially when we met up with some of the men dressed as romans (to take visitors on tours) they pretended to be terrified she'd come to rout chester. I said it was Ok, it was Colchester that had to worry.

(And you lot up north had Cartimandua anyway - and she was allied to the romans......)

Impressed you realised who she was dressed up as (did the wild red hair give it away?) Because one of the judges had no idea and had never heard of boudica/Boudicea anyway.....

Gurning, no. I've seen it on TV, but not in real life. When we come up to the lakes we come for Grassmere gingerbread, and to ride the open-topped bus between Windemere and Ambleside and Grassmere.

Sometime Derek, if I don't start making bizarre, off-the-wall comments on these boards, I think I would just fall over and cry. (comment not induced by this board by the way)

Keep safe sir XXX

Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Malkah,
Yes, I thought your daughter would pass for a royal member of the Iceni!

My youngest has ginger hair too and the temperament to match.

But I'm afraid my forbears were probably running around northern Europe swinging battle axes at the time of Boadicea. Smile

I think what is really important, Malkah, is that we can laugh at ourselves ...those who treat themselves too seriously can be a pain in the neck and make their own life hard as well!

blessings to you
Derek
Back to top Go down
malkah
User
malkah

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Well, if you think about, the millions of people who have finally resulted in you mean there might have been bits of your DNA running around in lots of places in the first century AD. bounce bounce

We're all a funny mixture of genetic material aren't we? My father's side has lived in Israel as long as anyone can remember, but we think there's a good chunk of scandinavian DNA in our gene-pool given how blonde and fair-skinned I am. And my daughter's a redhead as you can see. (Hubby's side is Scottish on hisw mother's side)

I love all the different variety of humankind. My daughter is best friends with a little girl whose father is spanish, she is very exotic looking and beautiful. I watch them playing together and marvel and the amazing, beautiful variety God has produced, they both look like princesses.

Yes, the ability to laugh at ourseleves is a good thing isn't it. I suffered a misscarrage a few weeks ago which hit me like a lead bullet. Sometimes, when you're very low, its hard to carry on. Children make us laugh don't they? Mine are a Godsend.

Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Malkah,

That is really lousy news! I can’t pretend to know how you’re feeling.

I just hope that between your faith and your obvious interest and involvement in so many things that you manage to keep your spirits up. If you feel yourself going through a bad patch, feel free to share.

Much Christian Love,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Dear Malkah,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, one never knows the pain others are suffering. My eldest lost her only chance of having a child five years ago due to a miscarriage after three months.
I shall pray for you sister.
God bless you, Malkah.
Derek
Back to top Go down
malkah
User
malkah

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Honestly guys, I really am OK now. I didn't talk about it for a while except for a private chat with Rez.

Horrible though it was, I'm able to see what a huge blessing my two children are, and I have such compassion for those women who, like your eldest Derek, go through the same but have no children. My sister-in-law miscarried several times but was able to have sucessful pregnancies through IVF.

It's hard to just curl up under a duvet and give way to depression when you have an active 7yr old and 2yr old. I couldn't make them unhappy by withdrawing from them like part of me wanted to. Like I said, children are naturally a good remedy for many of the serious parts of life.

I'm not myself still, but am loads better and one of the things I've learned from running is that, how I feel today, is not necessarily how I'll feel tomorrow.

Hubby took it quite hard too. I think its easy to forget that not only does the father feel pain too, but he has to try and be strong to support his wife. He went out for painkillers for me at 1 o clock in the morning. He's a sweetheart.

XXXXXX
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 12:26 am

That’s good to hear, Malkah. I am glad that you have a supportive husband in your life. That is a blessing. And two children who can’t be denied!

We certainly don’t have far to look to see people deal with tragedy. I feel sure, though, that there must be times when this is little consolation and we must go through the process of healing anyway.

Perhaps the best we can do on the forum is not to dwell on it and allow you to recover. But you have God’s ear, and I’m sure you have ours too, anytime things might be getting you down.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 12:41 am

Hi all,
12 Ravens came over the house this morning flying west. Now if I was superstitious it would be an ill omen! Smile

However, it probably means there is a dead sheep in the locality.

Yep, that Elijah was a brave man and had a strong stomach, eating the meat brought to him! Smile
Regards
Derek

This post actually refers to 29th September.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi all,
For any of you interested in astronomy...I think most of us are...Jupiter is near its closest to Earth atm. It can be seen, when there is no cloud cover, in the early evening in the south eastern sky. With 10x binoculars one can see four of its moons, that is where light pollution is not a problem.

I could see it and its moons well in my garden at c.2000 BST last night.

Regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 am

Hi guys,

I'm 56 on Monday so Rhonda and I thought we would go to see Jack L in concert again. It is on Saturday night and it includes a meal. So for you guys who don't think birthdays are the weirdest things around, a 'Happy Birthday' will be very welcome!

The choir did a wedding fair last Sunday and we do another one this coming Sunday. We do about four songs, go off for about half an hour, and then do another four.

Regards,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Brendan,
I hope you have a very happy and enjoyable 56th birthday.
AND, your choir participation sounds really worth while.
blessings to you and yours
Derek

brendan wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm 56 on Monday so Rhonda and I thought we would go to see Jack L in concert again. It is on Saturday night and it includes a meal. So for you guys who don't think birthdays are the weirdest things around, a 'Happy Birthday' will be very welcome!

The choir did a wedding fair last Sunday and we do another one this coming Sunday. We do about four songs, go off for about half an hour, and then do another four.

Regards,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 5:23 pm

A BIG Happy B-day to you Mr Brandan.

This makes you 15+ years ahead of me...in wisdom...and general 'grey headedness'...

(Hahahaha... Very Happy )

your Brother-

Matt
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Brendan,
Do you feel any different for being a year older?

It was nice thought when we were misled into believing one day soon we would all be growing younger again. Just think, in a another 15 years, Matt, I could have been the same age as Brendan is now and you will be then! Smile Wink

Peace, health and happiness to all as we get older.
Regards
Derek

Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Derek,

No, I don’t feel a thing! I told somebody this week that I was 55, so I guess the extra year hasn’t registered yet.

I guess you are referring to the time we all thought we would live forever at an ideal age, whatever that was, and it would happen in our lifetime. It sure was an alluring idea but I’m pretty sure now that it is unscriptural. I suppose the WS would explain that scripture is saying that all must die, generally speaking, but something special happens at the end of the tribulation.

I suppose the most important thing to me nowadays is peace. It probably comes from a combination of getting older and having lived in that dangerous dump I lived in for ten years.

Shalom comes to mind.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
Beau
User
Beau

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 9:54 am

Cant believe I missed it!

Happy Birthday Brendan!!

I had my birthday on the 6th of October....I turned 28! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I hope you had a great one! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/beau.wetini
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Beau,

Thanks for the birthday wishes and likewise to you. Can you believe I am exactly twice your age? I always assumed you were in your mid-thirties.

I had a good birthday – well, two days before because the birthday fell on a Monday and Rhonda works. So we went out to see a show on Saturday night. The singer is a guy called Jack L who is still just a local hero so probably isn’t known outside Ireland.

She was going to get me laser treatment for my eyes as a present. I was terrified of the cost and said no. Now, as I try to shoot all the aliens in Halo Reach, my eyes are watering with tiredness and I wonder should I take her up on the offer? I can't save the universe with poor eyesight!

I hope you treated yourself to something nice too.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi Beau,
28 eh!! "E by gum, your just a lad!
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi all,
We had lunch today sitting in the car looking over a small lake in a valley in the Roman Wall country. We had been across to the Northern Region cancer centre for my six monthly test.

The Roman Wall a couple of miles away could be easily seen through binoculars and the Roman Fort of Housteads was laid out before us on the side of the hill sloping towards us in the bright autumn sunshine. I could see the multiple seater Roman toilet in the S.E. corner of the fort...this always brings back to mind the fascination this toilet had for my eldest when she was at school...she could explain its forward thinking design in all the intricate details.

After a hard frost it was a grand day and the trees in Northumberland were showing their autumn colours.
Like Cumbria, Northumberland is our other beautiful twin northern county.

Now it is just a case of 'sitting tight' and waiting a full week for my results!
Regards
Derek
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi guys,
I had incredibly good results from the cancer test last week.

My wonderful remission from the advanced carcinoma of seven and one half years ago continues.

Praised God,
All hail the Lamb who reigns on high!
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 am

Hi Derek,

That is great news and long may it continue!

Regards,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 3:07 am

Thats the best news all day----Praise God!

flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Coffee table   The Coffee table - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Coffee table
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Articles & Commentaries :: Getting Acquainted :: Personal Interest :: The Coffee Table-
Jump to: