Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
brendan
User
brendan

The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam Empty
PostSubject: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 1:22 am

If the Emperor could be a symbol for organised religion, he is the symbol of religion deceived by its own stupidity. This does not really fit our understanding of organised religion’s wilful manipulation of truth and lies to profit from a deceived people. Could it be the Emperor represents a belief system that is in an uncorrupted state before the wolves come into the fold, like the first-century Christians before the start of the apostasy, or the International Bible Students before the introduction of ‘theocracy’. It might be interesting to see who could fit the role of the ‘two rogues’ in the story. If the Emperor could be a symbol for organised religion, he is the symbol of religion deceived by its own stupidity. This does not really fit our understanding of organised religion’s wilful manipulation of truth and lies to profit from a deceived people. Could it be the Emperor represents a belief system that is in an uncorrupted state before the wolves come into the fold, like the first-century Christians before the start of the apostasy, or the International Bible Students before the introduction of ‘theocracy’. It might be interesting to see who could fit the role of the ‘two rogues’ in the story.
One day, two rogues, calling themselves weavers, made their appearance. They gave out that they knew how to weave stuffs of the most beautiful colours and elaborate patterns, the clothes manufactured from which should have the wonderful property of remaining invisible to everyone who was unfit for the office he held, or who was extraordinarily simple in character.
Spiritually unfit
Spiritually immature
Spiritually retarded
"These must, indeed, be splendid clothes!" thought the Emperor. "Had I such a suit, I might at once find out what men in my realms are unfit for their office, and also be able to distinguish the wise from the foolish! So the two pretended weavers set up two looms, and affected to work very busily, though in reality they did nothing at all. They asked for the most delicate silk and the purest gold thread; put both into their own knapsacks; and then continued their pretended work at the empty looms until late at night. These are the deceivers, and they profit from the deception by lining their own pockets with the valuable materials that should have gone into the Emperor’s suit.
...he remembered that a simpleton, or one unfit for his office, would be unable to see the manufacture.

The control mechanism in the Emperor’s organisation has been undermined. How?
All the people throughout the city had heard of the wonderful property the cloth was to possess; and all were anxious to learn how wise, or how ignorant, their neighbours might prove to be.
Everyone is now deceived into believing the lie, but the deception is complicit, based on what each one can profit by it. Is profit the over-riding motive for the deception at all levels of the Emperor’s world?
So the faithful old minister went into the hall, where the knaves were working with all their might, at their empty looms. "What can be the meaning of this?" thought the old man, opening his eyes very wide. "I cannot discover the least bit of thread on the looms." However, he did not express his thoughts aloud. Now that the lie has become accepted as truth, fear has set in. Even the intelligent will fear to speak.
"What!" thought he again. "Is it possible that I am a simpleton? I have never thought so myself; and no one must know it now if I am so. Can it be, that I am unfit for my office? No, that must not be said either. I will never confess that I could not see the stuff."

Confusion is followed by self-preservation.
"Oh, it is excellent!" replied the old minister, looking at the loom through his spectacles. "This pattern, and the colours, yes, I will tell the Emperor without delay, how very beautiful I think them."
The minister is now a prime mover in the dynamic of converting the lie into a truth.
"How is this?" said the Emperor to himself. "I can see nothing! This is indeed a terrible affair! Am I a simpleton, or am I unfit to be an Emperor? That would be the worst thing that could happen--Oh! the cloth is charming," said he, aloud. "It has my complete approbation."
It is as if the lie has come full circle. The Emperor started the cycle, the ministers gave it movement, and the Emperor completed the cycle. the rogues raised their arms, as if in the act of holding something up, saying, "Here are your Majesty’s trousers! Here is the scarf! Here is the mantle! The whole suit is as light as a cobweb; one might fancy one has nothing at all on, when dressed in it; that, however, is the great virtue of this delicate cloth."
The lie is reinforced by the rogues claiming that the truth of the matter is the very proof that the lie is true.
"But the Emperor has nothing at all on!" said a little child. "Listen to the voice of innocence!" exclaimed his father
The only one not deceived is the one who has nothing to lose or gain from the truth of the matter. So the child is being truly objective, and everyone else is being subjective. The boy is also issuing a challenge to the lie. The father is probably embarrassed at the boy, and explains his declaration of truth as ‘innocence’.
"But he has nothing at all on!" at last cried out all the people. The Emperor was vexed, for he knew that the people were right; but he thought the procession must go on now! And the lords of the bedchamber took greater pains than ever, to appear holding up a train, although, in reality, there was no train to hold.
The truth is out now and prospering, but there is nothing for the Emperor and his lords to do but continue the farce, regardless of how stupid they are behaving or how stupid the people know they have become.
The last but awful question to consider:
Is the story a metaphor for real behaviour in adult life?
Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
Ven Dace
User

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Brendan,
Was Hans Christian Anderson trying to tell us something about the nature of religion or merely that we need to keep our vision clear, with a childlike perception?

If we are foolish or greedy or proud or fearful or have any of the negative qualities we are then susceptable to the controlling influence of those seeking power over us. That is why it concerns me when some get hooked on implausable and minipulated facts...they are no longer free.

Or are you using the story as some kind of tool or template....a jumping off point.... a means of comprehending more deep truths about coming to faith and the pitfalls in searching for truth?

Do you think organized religion has systematically distorted and twisted the truth to exploit humanity? I see it as being very mixed, as it was in early Christian times.

Perhaps the witness view of other faiths was, in itself, the dressing up of naked lies?

Just ramblings
WCL
Derek
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Derek,

I always thought that Hans Christian Anderson was making a general comment about society, like Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels. But from my early days as a JW, I always felt like the boy in the story, afraid to speak the obvious at times, and paying for it with scorn when I chanced it. So it became a religious story for me.

I think a collective consciousness is what they call a culture, and the culture seems to grow over a lot of time. I think the only thing that would stop the culture growing is free speech. But because everyone starts to get something from the collective lies, even the lower ranks support the fiction, in the hope that they will rise up the ladder. Someone, I think Jim Penton, used the word ‘apparatchiks’ to describe the non-thinkers, non-challengers in the organisation.

Do I think organised religion has systematically distorted and twisted the truth to exploit humanity? Gosh, yes, I do. Others are more charitable, like Ray Franz, but I think some of Franz’s reluctance to get personal was the insight that it could only backfire, however true the stories were. My guess is that the corruption in the WS has been growing since before Russell’s death, somewhere between the time that he advocated freedom of interpretation for all Christians and the time he felt his writings were more valuable than scripture. I think the JW view of itself was also the dressing up of naked lies, the most comprehensive and sophisticated example might be the Proclaimers book.

I wasn’t really thinking of the story as ‘a means of comprehending more deep truths about coming to faith and the pitfalls in searching for truth’? I just hope that if the story had gone on to tell us of the little boy’s future in this story, he learned that group-think can be a ridiculous and even evil thing, and found others of like mind with whom he could have real conversations. As you know, some have been burned at the stake for doing what the boy did in our real world.

Regards,

Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Summer
User
Summer

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:05 am

Hello Derek and Brendan!

Yes, 'Fear of being different is a HUGE factor!
Within a group, where lies are mixed with truth,
this creates a mixture of confusion. This
can make a man no longer trust in his or her ability
to use discretion. The thought:' how can so many
be in error? They began to trust in numbers,
trusting in what they can see with their eyes.
see
http://know-the-truth.forumotions.net/your-first-forum-f1/
Under heading"Faithful and Discreet class of the Watchtower."

Anyone who continues swallowing this mixture of
confusion no longer has the ablility to discern what is
truth and what is a lie; blind trust has eroded the ablilty
to see clearly. How can anyone escape from it?
Think how it was we escaped from it;
But love of God prompts a person to fight for
GOD'S WORD and no longer accept false
words of men who claim to have 'special knowledge';
Men who say things like 'only we have God's Spirit and
so you must listen to us instead ; because God hasn't
given you his Holy Spirit.
Who do we choose to listen to?
Acts 5:32
And *we* are [his] witnesses of these things, and
the Holy Spirit also, which God has given to those
that obey him."

The members of the Jehovah's Witnesses religion
trust they too are obeying GOD.

So in light of the above scripture, the so called 'other
sheep class are not obeying God?
Gee, we thought we knew the scriptures, but in the end,
the Jehovah's Witnesses only know the sayings of their
religious leaders.

Have you ever wondered about the reason our God has
opened our eyes?
There are millions in the Jehovah's Witness Org.
Why hasn't God opened their eyes? Why do so many
think they need a man to teach them what is truth and what
is a lie? How is it they are not empowered to 'come to Christ',
listen to him as well his apostles whom he gave the WORD?

I believe it depends upon who we choose to listen to.
Deuteronomy 30:19
"I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day,
that I have
set before thee life and death, the blessing and
the curse: therefore choose LIFE, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed;"

Compare: John 14:6 " I am the Way, The truth and LIFE"

Now that our eyes are opened, what is it God expects of us?
How many are actually interested in what we have to say
about the matter of 'listening to Christ'?
Back to top Go down
http://know-the-truth.forumotions.net
brendan
User
brendan

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi gatekeeper,

I wonder how many JWs are and were simply people who were misled by power-hungry self-proclaimed leaders? I’m sure there were many, but I also firmly believe that, just like in the fairy tale, there were many who knew full well what was going on and played the game for whatever benefits they thought would come from it. We used to refer to them as ‘career Witnesses’.

I’m sure God will view the misled in a compassionate light. As for the others who make wonderful words with their mouths, but have hearts far removed from God, I think He will be more angered by the hypocrisy than anything else.

You ask why God does not open up the eyes of those who are misled. Perhaps He won’t save us from traps. Wouldn’t it be strange if, in this situation, God actually won’t intervene so if we find whatever it takes to move away from the herd, it might only be our doing? Not that He won’t bless our efforts, I believe, just that we might have to provide the motivation and courage to make the move.

Of course I don’t know – it’s just thinking out loud.

In Christ,
Brendan
Back to top Go down
Ven Dace
User

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi gatekeeper and Brendan,
Good to see you.

Did you realize you are a British butterfly, gatekeeper?

http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/butterflies/gatekeeper.htm

I hope you are not into this flitting between forums as Brendan and myself are? Smile

Why did I leave? Because I believed the WTS was insinuating itself between me and my Lord. I had reach the point some time before at which I no longer believed there was a single channel of communication between God and man on earth. I had believed for some time J.W's were not the only Christians and for even more years I had felt; how come I grew up in a minority exclusive sect that was the only group which were ricipients of God's dealings with man?

In the early 80's the 'writing was on the wall' for those who thought differently to the WTS. It was obvious to many a purge was in progress.

Fortunately I had come to love the Lord Jesus in my mid thirties...so I went quietly...but not 'gently into the good night'.

Eventually after a ten year wilderness period in my case, my wife and I disassociated ourselves.

WCL
Derek
Back to top Go down
Summer
User
Summer

PostSubject: Hello again Derek and Brendan,   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:27 am

Gatekeeper is a butterfly? LOL!
A couple times I got disfellowshipped from a web site.
One person wanted to be the only one sharpening iron,
the other, didn't want me talking about the scriptures so
much.
Go figure.
I never say a thing without a scripture to back it up.

Have you ever heard of Ross? or Mark Miller?

Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks about me, my
main concern is what Christ thinks of me.
This is called 'freedom from fear of men'. king

Brendan,
You said,"My guess is that the corruption in the
WS has been growing since before Russell’s
death,"

I agree. His religion was mainly based upon
finding the date for 'the time of the end';
which God said 'it isn't for you to know".

So how could God bless it?
The nominal JW says, "why look at the growth
of the Watchtower Org. "
They see with their eyes, but do not have
spiritual discernment.
Had they recognized the fact that the Catholic
and the Mormon religions far out grow theirs,
they wouldn't be putting too much trust in
numbers.
Changing the subject:
I stuck to my guns so to speak, allowing the
elders to come to my house twice, ( knowing
their scheme to oust me out) and then went to
the AX, that is, to the kingdom Hall for the
final version of my trial before the court of
'elders', only to hear the phrase,"The Bible
was not written for you," it was only written for
the 144,000 members and you are not one of
them."
Well, how do they know that I am not one of
them? What makes them think the Bible was
not written for me?
I couldn't believe my ears! How many magazines
and publication the WT spit out which
encouraged Bible reading and study?
Why study the Bible when the Bible was not
written for you? LOL!
Now after that tid bit of information, I knew
right on the spot that the Watchtower was not
cracked up to be what it claimed to be.
And if those men in Brooklyn were truly of the
anointed, they would cringe at seeing their
fellow Christians passing the wine and bread
without eating and drinking as Christ
commanded his disciples.
After all, Christ told his disciples to go teach
the gentiles to observe ALL the things I
Commanded YOU TO DO."
A true anointed would stand up and walk out or
at least speak out to protest against such
an abomination!
So, did I tell you I searched out until I found
an article written by the Watchtower which was
entitled,"Why read the Bible", then I wrote
scriptures all around the margain which proved
it was written for ANYONE who will.

To tell you the truth, Before my court hearings
began, I had no idea how depraved the WT
teachings really were. It is just like those in
the Mormon religion. Many inside don't really
know their religion's doctrines. They are only
there because they feel safe in numbers and
trust in religious leaders who they think know
more than they do.
I know I was gullible and put too much trust in
our religious leaders in Brooklyn New York.
I've since realized, any religion which says they
have a 'head quarters' on earth, is in darkness
to this day!

Enough of my rantings!

My ministry is to call others to come to the
waters that Christ spoke about.
That is; to actually help them see the
importance of coming to Christ to listen to him
as well his apostles.
Comparing Moses words to the words of Christ,
this scripture is high lighted:
Exodus 32:26
then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Whoso is on Jehovah's side, let him come unto me."
Leviticus 10:3
Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that Jehovah spoke, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come near me, and before all the people I will be glorified."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
comparing Christ with Moses:
Matthew 11:28

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and
I will give you rest."

Mark 10:14
But when Jesus saw it, he was moved with indignation, and
said unto them, Allow the little children to come unto me;
forbid them not: for to such belongs the kingdom of God."

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me
draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day."
John 7:37
Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood
and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me
and drink. '

John 12:23
And Jesus answereth them, saying, The hour is come, that
the Son of man should be glorified."
John 17:1
These things spake Jesus; and lifting up his eyes to heaven,
he said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that the
son may glorify thee: '

Revelation 15:3
And they sing the song of Moses
the servant of God, and
the song of the Lamb, saying, "Great and
marvellous are your works, O Lord God, the Almighty; righteous and true

are your ways, you King of the ages."

great words eh?

The trinitarians give glory to Christ, whereas,
Christ gives the glory to his Father.
Back to top Go down
Ven Dace
User

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi Gatekeeper,
I see you still have your JW perception of Trinitarians? Smile

I have left that kind of mind bending stuff years ago.

In Christ
Derek
Back to top Go down
Summer
User
Summer

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 am

Hello Ven Dace,

This is how I understand now Christ came to have
all authority: "The Son of God is given all authority",
see Matt 8:9-10
but not until he obediently lays down his life and proves
himself faithful and obedient to his God.

(Matthew 16:15-17)
Jesus said,“But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter answered and said,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you,
Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not
revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

The Jews were accusing him of because they said he
claimed to be GOD.

Why is it few understand that The Almighty is Spirit and
he indwells upon anyone he choses? even angels-
see Ps 18:6-10

GOD, who is SPIRIT, was with Jesus all during his
ministry, yes, the Holy Spiriit of God was IN his Son.
John 8:16
"And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for
I am not alone, but I am with the Father
who sent Me."

1 John 1:3
that which we have seen and heard we declare
to you, that you also may have fellowship with
us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father
and with His Son Jesus Christ.

John 10:38
but if I do, though you do not believe Me,
believe the works,
that you may know and
believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”
John 14:10
Do you not believe that I am in the Father,
and the Father in Me?
The words that I speak
to you I do not speak on My own authority
;
but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
God is SPIRIT!

At Christ's baptism, the spirit of GOD came down
in the form of a dove
and then indwelt upon Jesus.

As the scriptures state, "Jesus was in the form of GOD."
( and the word became flesh)
Phillipians 2:5-8 (use American Standard Bible)
And at his baptism, it is said, 'This day I have
begotten you."
Christ then became part of the family of GOD.

Now GOD (the word) entered into the son of man
( Jesus a bondservant)and then reconciled a world
to himself.

Colosians 1:18-20 2 Cor 5:18

This
scripture make what I am saying more clear:

Ephesians 4:32
"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving
one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."

Jesus said, "I do not speak on my own authority"
And yet the scriptures says he spoke with authority.
If Jesus does not speak on his own authority, then
how
can he be the Almighty GOD?

Jesus said he was going to his GOD. ( John 20:17
(Rev 3:12)

peace-

Back to top Go down
Ven Dace
User

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Gatekeeper,
It appears I clicked the wrong tab with you!

Are you a Socinian?
or
Do you believe in Christ's pre-existence as the Only begotten Son of God?

I am not interested in a list of proof texts...I am neither Trinitarian nor anti-Trinitarian.

Please, tell me...because I am really interested in the following: What is your personal relationship to the Lord Jesus Christ? What is he personally to you, gatekeeper?

WCL
Derek
Back to top Go down
Summer
User
Summer

PostSubject: Do I believe christ pre existd in heaven?   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:23 am

No. Jesus was a son of man:(Matt 11:19)
He was a prophet of God, a man who fulfilled prophesy,
while god's Spirit was with him. Christ spoke 'AS GOD
because GOD put his Word in him and sent him to give His
Word to others.
God saved the world through Jesus; he reconciled
a world to himself through his only begotten son.
Matthew 11:9
"But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say
unto you, and more than a prophet."

Matthew 1:1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

I don't believe that he was an angel before he existed as a man.
Therefore, I do not accept the JW doctrine.

The main point is this:
To Love God with one's whole heart and love your neighbor
as yourself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam   The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam Empty

Back to top Go down

The Emperor's New Clothes Part 2 by Brendan Tannam
Page 1 of 1