Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

Study Methods

Go down 
+2
Derek
Propmin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Propmin
User
Propmin

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 12:58 am

I am curious as to how different people approach the Bible, and trying to get the most out of it.

I guess the 'technical word' is hermunetics (or something like that), which is basically the methodology one uses for Bible interpretation. When one leaves the WT, or any cult I suppose, they are on their own to figure this out. The WT had a singular-narrow-confining-smothering to death by corporate literature review at endlessly repetitive meetings-overload approach that I'm pretty sure most here have abandoned... Smile

Any supporting links or sites/book suggestions/translations/etc. would also be appreciated.

Ultimately, I believe the Holy Ghost is our teacher, however, the way we approach it is probably somewhat unique from one to another.

with Love-

flower
Matt
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 12:45 am

Hi Matt,
As well as the standard methods of study, we have a very particular approach because over many years our view of scripture was distorted to fit into a particular world view, created by the WT organization.

If we can spot the WT slant that we took on board...re: for example what I call the de-Jesusing of the NT, then we can come to see Christ role and place in God's purpose more clearly.
I well remember, as my dear wife commented many years ago.
2 Cor 4:3,4 was used by us witnesses on the door to door work quite a lot to show who the God of this world was.
Really the purpose of that whole section of scripture was about the glorious Christ.
For years we thought of 2 Cor 4 as being about the devil being the god of this world...truly an evil slant that covered up the truth.
Marjorie said what a great relief it was to her to see Christ at the centre of the scripture, when read in context.

So how essential to read whole sections of scripture in context, trying to visualize the situations.
It is also really necessary, for we who were conned, to examine all the bait we swallowed and see if it is spiritual junk we should vomit out.

blessings to you
Derek
Back to top Go down
Seraphim
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I tend to study the bible in multiple ways. The context is a must of course but often chapters that were inserted after the bible was written guve a false cue of where the context ends. So often it continues into the next chapter/s.

Also historical context which is often to my mind as important as the written, so I study Greek and Roman history and culture, as well as more ancient history to clue me in to some of the more obscure biblical references and passages.

I also listen to sermons from multiple sources, traditions and teachers from both conservative and liberal sources. I regularly listen to a sermon or two a day.
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Brian,
Have you come across David Wilkinson, scientist and theologian (Durham). He came to the local church and and spoke on Gen chapter 1
I really liked his approach..he has written a load of books and is worth listening to. He has started speaking on Radio 4 thought for the day.
Regards
Derek

Last edited by Derek on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi guys,

I might have the most haphazard approach. I never pick up a Bible to read the Bible, so to speak. I use it almost always to check things that come up in discussion, like 2Cor 4:4. Then issues are raised in books like Salt and Light and The Shack and I will look up scriptures to see if they seem to be valid and helpful in the context the authors use them.

Regards,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
Derek
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Brendan,
That is an extremely good learning method because the information is fed into to us in a logical way. By answering our own questions we sound down the result and make the material our own, it's true sequenced self-instruction.
Regards
Derek

brendan wrote:

Hi guys,

I might have the most haphazard approach. I never pick up a Bible to read the Bible, so to speak. I use it almost always to check things that come up in discussion, like 2Cor 4:4. Then issues are raised in books like Salt and Light and The Shack and I will look up scriptures to see if they seem to be valid and helpful in the context the authors use them.

Regards,
Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 am

Seraphim wrote:
I tend to study the bible in multiple ways. The context is a must of course but often chapters that were inserted after the bible was written guve a false cue of where the context ends. So often it continues into the next chapter/s.

Also historical context which is often to my mind as important as the written, so I study Greek and Roman history and culture, as well as more ancient history to clue me in to some of the more obscure biblical references and passages.

I also listen to sermons from multiple sources, traditions and teachers from both conservative and liberal sources. I regularly listen to a sermon or two a day.

Thats pretty much what I do, bud. Wink

I start with The following 'basic equipment':

ME on the couch

An old, well worn, King James Version I found on the floor at my recycling plant

A Sony walkman, with 'Producer style' headphones on, playing Mozarts "Requiem" [preferrably movement No. 6 'Lacrimosa', with xtra bass]

And I go from there...

afro
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 pm

For shame, Matt!

Studying to secular music instead of sacred, what's the world coming to?

And surely bass is a tool of the Devil?
Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
peacebaby
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:03 pm

brendan wrote:

And surely bass is a tool of the Devil?
LOL! Only if it's 260's in a guy's trunk! Razz

I do much the same as you do, Brendan, searching out particular subjects - though in doing that we get a lot of plain old Bible reading in at the same time. When I do those 'daily texts' I use BibleGateWay and search for words in different translations. Soon a coherant pattern of words emerges and I have something to work with according to the theme(usually JESUS!).

I'm still in awe of the way the Bible weaves God's message through His Son, as it seems to me that the OT points to Christ and the NT points to the OT proofs that Christ is Messiah - and God's message remains the same throughout, but in layer upon layer. It's true that we do "dig" for the truth into all those layers - and Christ Jesus is to be found as the treasure we're digging for! He is the 'love we had at first', and we either grow into a mature love through him or our love wanes and dies. I guess it matters which type of 'soil' we are for that love to thrive or wither.

But I'll never get tired of digging into that truth of God, His Son - there are so many facinating facets of his Sonship and Lordship - even though we might not understand the true depth of it all until we see him in his glory in the kingdom.

The last Bible book I read just to read was Job not long ago - I found it interesting in ways I'd never before understood - looking with new eyes I suppose. Well, the Bible's just like that - constant new insights into what might be considered old, dry texts. It matters, too, when we read thinking we know everything about what we're reading or whether we're willing to just soak it in and let God's spirit guide our minds into the words and let him show us what He wants us to see at a certain point of time. Perhaps a willing mind is key? study

And Matt - I prefer almost any other translation than the KJV. It's me, I know - that language just turns me off - I want the Bible to speak to me plainly in words and phrases I can half-way understand! geek So I like perusing many different versions - they all have their own good and bad points I reckon. At this point I do like the NASB over most translations - just because of all the references - LOVE those references - they help me see the cohesiveness of the whole Book.

Love to you ALL I love you
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 4:14 am

Hi willa-willa!

Yeah, I searched high and lo for the "perfect translation" for me only to find there is no such thing.

I agree with you entirely as regards reading something that you can understand, and for those times that I just want to lay back and 'read' for the sake of reading, I get out my leather bound NLT. Sweeeeet-reading.

What got me hooked on the KJV was the reading by ALexander Scourby on the Go-Bible. The Word became just so direct and powerful, and forcefull. And Yes, while the language is a bit antiquated, if not outright Shakesperian, I really felt (and feel) that it is a much higher standard of linguistic, one I wanted to, wish to, and continue to, reach for and aspire to. When I look at myself and the culture and society I grew up in and live in, and how the day to day language is so 'base', it just seems to me---and Im speaking only for myself here, Im not putting this on anyone else---that when I really "engage" in an understanding of the Divine, I need to reach for a higher standard, a higher esthetic of speech, of language. The KJV provides that sense of elevation to the Holy, well above the others. Again, just for me. Wink

On an analytical point, the KJV is the single most studied piece of Literature in the History of the world, Id say. We know its full of errors, but where those errors are, and why they are there, are all very well documented. There is 400 years of scholarship available on the KJV, so there should be no "techincal" surprises at this point.

Thats my rationale for the KJV, anyway. Again, just for myself. Wink

Peace and Christian love to you, willa-willa!
flower
Matt
Back to top Go down
peacebaby
User

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Quote :
Hi willa-willa!
You have the 'Name Game' song stuck in yer head, dontcha! (Willa willa Bo-billa, banana-fanna Fo-filla, Mi, my, Mo-milla, Willa!) It made me smile more than once yesterday as I thought of that, Matt. Razz

Didn't Charlton Heston do a KJV audio Bible? Now there's an OT KJ voice if ever I heard one!

One thing you probably can appreciate more than I do, as you love and write poetry, is the poetic lilt given to scripture in the KJV. Me, I can do without it, lol - even though the psalms were originally sung as songs. I think that's a brilliant way of memorization btw, if one was so inclined to memorize them. I would still find it difficult as - nothing rhymes! What rhymes with 'Jerusalem'? Lol!

His peace to you and yours!
I love you
Back to top Go down
malkah
User
malkah

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:24 pm

peacebaby wrote:
[
Didn't Charlton Heston do a KJV audio Bible? Now there's an OT KJ voice if ever I heard one!

Get your hands off me, you damn, dirty philistine.....

albino
Back to top Go down
Propmin
User
Propmin

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:45 pm

malkah wrote:
peacebaby wrote:
[

Get your hands off me, you damn, dirty philistine.....

albino

Hahahaha....I love Charley 'Moses Taylor' Hesston...The best actor ever, and full of great quotes, like this one:

"Look at it this way; if this is the best they've got, in 6 months we'll be running this planet...."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Study Methods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Methods   Study Methods Empty

Back to top Go down

Study Methods
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Articles & Commentaries :: Research :: Personal Research-
Jump to: