Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

Acts 15

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
peacebaby
User

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi everyone!
I was reading in Acts last night and took notice of the dispute between Paul and Barnabas that evidently ended their partnership. pale So I looked up all mentions of Barnabas in the NASB.

If the 'accepted' chronology is right, Galatians was written first, then Corinthians, then Colossians and Acts were written around the same time.

So here are all the references to Barnabas ---

1) Galatians 2:1
[ The Council at Jerusalem ] Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also.

Galatians 2:9
and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

Galatians 2:13
The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy.

2) 1 Corinthians 9:6
Or do only Barnabas and I not have a right to refrain from working?

3) Colossians 4:10
Aristarchus, my fellow prisoner, sends you his greetings; and also Barnabas's cousin Mark (about whom you received instructions; if he comes to you, welcome him);

4) Acts 4:36
Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement),

Acts 9:27
But Barnabas took hold of him and brought him to the apostles and described to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had talked to him, and how at Damascus he had spoken out boldly in the name of Jesus.

Acts 11:22
The news about them reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas off to Antioch.

Acts 11:30
And this they did, sending it in charge of Barnabas and Saul to the elders.

Acts 12:25
And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem when they had fulfilled their mission, taking along with them John, who was also called Mark.

Acts 13:1
Now there were at Antioch, in the church that was there, prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Acts 13:2
While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

Acts 13:7
who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.

Acts 13:42
As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:43
Now when the meeting of the synagogue had broken up, many of the Jews and of the God-fearing proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue in the grace of God.

Acts 13:46
Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.

Acts 13:50
But the Jews incited the devout women of prominence and the leading men of the city, and instigated a persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district.

Acts 14:12
And they began calling Barnabas, Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker.

Acts 14:14
But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out

Acts 14:20
But while the disciples stood around him, he got up and entered the city The next day he went away with Barnabas to Derbe.

Acts 15:2
And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue.

Acts 15:12
All the people kept silent, and they were listening to Barnabas and Paul as they were relating what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.

Acts 15:22
Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas--Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren,

Acts 15:25
it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

Acts 15:35
But Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch, teaching and preaching with many others also, the word of the Lord.

Acts 15:36
[ Second Missionary Journey ] After some days Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us return and visit the brethren in every city in which we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are."

Acts 15:37
Barnabas wanted to take John, called Mark, along with them also.

Acts 15:39
And there occurred such a sharp disagreement that they separated from one another, and Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus.

And that's where their story seems to end, in "sharp disagreement" about a brother I'm calling 'Johnny Mark', tongue. ( I actually know someone by that name - kinda like 'Billy Bob', lol. )

I was hoping to find some reference to the fact that they'd reconciled and had a 'happy ending'. But that doesn't seem to be the case. What can we conclude from this? I mean, doesn't that sound like a trifling thing to end a friendship and their joint effort to spread the Gospel? Too many things are left out of the Bible record here, so it's hard to piece together answers to some questions... but what do you all make of it? It'd be great if the chonology isn't right - that would throw things into another perspective then.

I love you Love from me.
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:33 am

Hi Willa,

You have been doing some serious personal study! You must be spiritually weak. We strong Christians just accept the explanation given to us years ago that Paul and Barnabus had a big barney over Mark but sorted it out after a period of time. So their bust-up was an example for us all to follow.

If there is no evidence that this reconciliation took place, it is disappointing to me but I guess it isn’t fatal. I was always pleased by Peter’s admission that Paul’s ideas were hard to digest but he still gave him credit for carrying on Christ’s work in his, dare I say it, intellectual way.

I’m not a deep Christian scholar by any means but if I get a chance, I will see if I can come up with something that might contribute to this topic.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
peacebaby
User

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:58 pm

You must be spiritually weak. tongue Very funny, mister! I must've been trying, 'cause I've forgotten most of the 'incidental' things the WT taught, Bren. Yah!

How I came to be thinking on it - I use BibleGateway and when I made the links to my favorites list the NIV was on Acts 15, so it was 'open' to that page. I usually just type whatever else I'm interested in looking at and go from there, but this time I read it through and that incident stuck out. I realized I'd never really investigated it before so I began searching. It's easy to do on that site - just type in a word search and voila! - all references pop up - I love that site. study

So anyway, with all the other things Paul said about not thinking more of yourself than necessary, fleshly thoughts vs. spiritual ones, and love for the brethren covering faults and all - it seems mighty curious to me that he'd allow one disagreement, even a particularly "sharp" one, to end his and Barnabas' relationship. They must've been pretty close as Barnabas witnessed for Paul right after his revelation of Christ and they shared many a journey for the Lord. Plus - the Holy Spirit spoke directly about 'setting aside' both of them for that work in Acts 13:2.

Maybe we're to conclude that 'hey- everyone's only human'?

Peace! I love you
Back to top Go down
Inquiring
User
Inquiring

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi Willa,

Great points! Would you mind sharing the site, looks like a good one.
Thank-you

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
peacebaby
User

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:21 pm

http://www.biblegateway.com/

Very Happy

Happy hunting, Rhonda! I like to read the commentaries there, too - different perspectives are good. I love you
Back to top Go down
brendan
User
brendan

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Willa,

My bad! I must have had a brother in mind who came upon an issue that troubled him after lots of research. Anyway, he wrote to the WS and got a very wishy-washy answer in return and within months, things had spiralled downwards towards him disassociating himself. During the process, he was accused of being spiritually weak because he wouldn’t put up and shut up instead of insisting on a solid answer. That’s what made a connection in my mind between research and spiritual weakness.

I’m disappointed about the possibility that Paul and Barnabus may never have been reconciled. To me, it was an illustration that served as a model for us to follow. I wonder if we will take from this that we have no obligation to do so either. I remember the old thinking that if we went to religious meeting and preached, we would be forgiven for not fulfilling our obligations to each other.

On the other hand, we have this important principle from Matthew 5:

23 “If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar and you there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away; first make your peace with your brother, and then, when you have come back, offer up your gift.

Would they have ignored this principle or perhaps had reason to believe it did not apply to them? I hope I get time to look into it more.

Regards,
Brendan.

Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19
Propmin
User
Propmin

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 2:56 am

Hi folks,

I think that there's allot we dont know. But it would be interesting to find out if they reconcilled.

As far as sites for reading, research, study and the like, may I also add to those previously spoken of which are fantastic (biblegateway----LOVE IT!), the following:

This one is my favorite site-
http://www.blueletterbible.org/

These are pretty good too:
http://www.biblestudytools.com/
http://www.studylight.org/

And for that special 'Church of Rome' flavor to your study:
http://www.veritasbible.com/
Back to top Go down
Derek
User

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi Willa,
You may find this discussion on third ministries helpful?

http://thirdmill.org/resources-2/pauline-studies/life/paul-and-barnabas

Paul appears to have re-established his relationship with Mark, so he may well have done so with Barnabas as well? 2Tim 4:11
Not everything is in scripture.

It takes 'two to tango' and also to mend broken relationships between parties.

blessings
Derek

Back to top Go down
Inquiring
User
Inquiring

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi All

Thanks to all of you who have posted reading, research and study sites. Lost a few study things last year so this will be great!

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acts 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts 15   Acts 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Acts 15
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Articles & Commentaries :: Bible Study :: Acts-
Jump to: