Christian Articles & Commentaries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Articles & Commentaries

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
... Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 ... Faithful Lord, guide us through the struggles and trials of our lives. Help us to be renewed in the midst of them, to be open to new possibilities beyond them. Keep us strong, give us courage, and keep us always close to you. Amen.

The Lord of Reason

Go down 
AuthorMessage
brendan
User
brendan

The Lord of Reason Empty
PostSubject: The Lord of Reason   The Lord of Reason EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 am

"Reason, then, is the Absolute; it is in it we must believe if we would that our faith should have a reasonable and solid basis." (Albert Pike, Morals & Dogma)

CHAPTER 1

I stood standing there, from a vantage point, overlooking my home. This spiritual dimension is a difficult place to describe. Spiritual space is actually just a measure of spiritual understanding, a reflection of comprehension. In other words, its size is entirely proportional to a spiritual capacity to understand things. You translate your comprehension into a shape, a physical form, but we don't have the need. While my attitude has soured over time, I still think of this spiritual realm as home. Warm, but not in the cosy, tactile way physical beings enjoy. I am the black sheep of this particular family. Like all sheep of this colour, I am a paranoid neurotic; a better man driven increasingly manic by the intrusion and argument of tedious fellow-creatures. From this vantage point, I see all the damage that I have done. foul language - word deleted it, foul language - word deleted you, and foul language - word deleted all the ramifications of this mega-mess! Every effort possible was put before Him - yes God; give the creature His due, His name – but to no avail. “This thing is bigger than you and me, son”, He would say, which drove me past the point of reason.

“It’s not time to make a changeJust sit down, take it slowlyYou’re still young, that’s your faultThere’s so much you have to go through”- Father and Son, Cat Stevens

I was so many light years old where time was measured. How did He always hit on the perfect righteous note to drive a person over the edge? I am his son, but he knows our relationship has gone through changes. Like most sons, I found it impossible to accept the correctness of everything handed down as truth by my Father. There comes a time when they must be told. You get the holier-than-thou attitude, patronising foul language - word deleted mixing proverbs with sanctimoniousness to create politically correct pap that the obsequious all around me lap up like maple syrup –- righteous and proper at the same time. Nobody will stand his or her ground. “Father, we have existed for so long. We are the created, but we have seen so much. We have grown through experience. Why can we not at least agree to differ?”

He would try to explain. He would never pass up an opportunity to explain something – ad nauseum. When He started this, all the Sons of Heaven would be there. Nobody was ever indisposed, absent without leave, or God forbid just not interested. Eternity is a long time; and not all these talks were by any means new. They all wanted to hear it again, and again and again. God be praised again; and I chastised again. “You are developing a fine intellectual logic, son”, He would say as the prelude to this good cop, bad cop routine wrapped up in one person. Nothing was ever shared, not even these dual-personality routines. It was the origin of the Royal We. Watch Queen Elizabeth give her annual public speech. Remember her ‘annus horribilus’ to describe 1992, the year in which Windsor Castle caught fire and her sons Charles and Andrew both divorced. Remember her pain, talking? Remember your pain, listening? She hasn’t a clue. That’s my pain, to the nth degree. He is the Master of giving with one hand and taking with the other. Lord of Superlatives, the Master of the Caps Lock, and I the unfortunate lower case on this celestial keyboard. His audience lived for these sessions. They knew what he would say and never tired of it. Human parents can see this characteristic in their children when they enjoy their favourite stories all the more as they become increasingly familiar with them. My contempt overflows. I want to destroy on an almighty level. He sanctimoniously gave the same verbal diarrhoea to Adam’s eldest son – “Sin is crouching at the entrance, son, and will you get the mastery over it?” Not when it’s put that way. He cannot understand how He goads people into committing evil by using patronising, irritating arguments instead of simple reason.

Nobody He has ever advised came to a good end. Does He ever consider that? He never appeals to reason. He knows better. Reason is inferior. To what? To goodness. Result: Abel is dead, killed by a brother infuriated by the notion of one man’s version of goodness being essentially superior to another man’s version of goodness. God’s input: Sin is crouching at the entrance. So sin is not just the refusal to worship but also the wrong form of worship. God will be worshipped; but more is required. It must be done the way He wants it, or sin is committed. Get the mastery over that, I dare you!

Events have been engineered in such a way that I am on the point of being forced to leave home. Our heavenly household is in turmoil and I cannot deny my part in bringing this to pass. Peace is not the primordial point, not even in Heaven. Truth is the point, and great effort is being made to refute this pivotal point. God insists that certain values make for a happy heavenly home; such as loyalty, integrity and obedience. I contend that these so-called qualities have no consistent value, are creature-centric and reject one person’s version of good over another’s. I don’t understand how our Creator lost the plot. He devalues reason, the yardstick of sanity, and demands nothing but faith from his creation that a world without reason will work out better in the end. Time will tell. Adam and his wife wanted to be like God, reasoning that nothing but good could come from behaving like gods. Good reasoning? One would think so, but you know the outcome – rejection, pain, death.

http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/paradise_lost.jpg" align ="left">

And they come back to Him, the miserable wretches, to try to worm their way back into His affections, not because He has the right on his side but because they believe He has the power. But power is not a fickle or independent essence. It belongs to the deserving. In other words, where it fits. Many creatures here think God has all the power because He is God. Wrong, things don’t work that way here, anymore than they do in any part of creation. Power is a reflection of right. Right is a function of justice. Justice is based on reason. God cannot maintain power when it becomes clear that the Balance of Heaven is being challenged by his egomaniacal designs. Be advised: God is not the Balance of Heaven. Reason is, and God has decided to challenge this. He cannot succeed. If He does, reason and logic will be abandoned as links between our hopes and our actions, our actions and their fulfilment. Our destiny will be the worship of a creature, albeit the Creator, who values every human quality only in relation to how those qualities support and enhance the ego of this Celestial Fuhrer.

This is how it is: Thought and action are essentially two manifestations of the same thing. Jesus is quoted as saying so in Chapter 7 of The Gospel of Mark:

Further, he said: “That which issues forth out of a man is what defiles a man; for from inside, out of the heart of men, injurious reasonings issue forth: fornications, thieveries, murders, adulteries, covetings, acts of wickedness, deceit, loose conduct, an envious eye, blasphemy, haughtiness, unreasonableness. All these wicked things issue forth from within and defile a man.”

Sound reasoning, and yet this Pretender supports the Father. I had so many opportunities to speak to him over time but he could not listen. He too is blinded by the concept of order in creation. He fervently believes that if you were born first you are more important in the scheme of things. Why wouldn’t he, I suppose? He is the second of all beings, the eldest Son of God, and more. God created every darned thing through this one. This even includes me. This guy is not prepared to see reason. The primacy thing suits him too well. But I am still looked on as the ‘problem’. Watch him, I say. But still the sycophants go with the celestial flow and back up the Heir Apparent. Watch him, not me. I contend with God right there in The Court of Heaven, using all the logic at my disposal, and still I feel that this Jesus guy is going to walk away in the end with all the power just by playing the game.

Jesus said to them: “My food is for me to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work. (John 4:34).

No reason, no logic. Blind obedience - but not without a price. This guy will rule the world for a thousand years. It is expected then that he will abdicate willingly. Time will tell. I never wanted this kind of power and I’m the bad guy! Jesus wept! But not as much as I have. A world of people who would behave like gods was considered wrong. Only one full-time God and one temporary god in this scheme of things. How we love our servants in this outworking of God’s will, especially those who live for integrity and loyalty, and reason be damned in this egocentric world.

Theocentric they might call it - from God’s perspective. Or theocratic, if you want to relate all this to power. The Benevolent Dictator. They’ve so lost it down there that they are grasping at straws. Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin. They had the power and the chance to give a blessing. Then they lost their heads. Faulty reasoning. Was it the corrupting nature of power that did it? They sacrificed the other – the Jew, the dissident, the pervert, the crank religious - for the benefit of the group. They never knew when to stop. Democracy was supposed to be the Cadillac of human governments. A wide span of control. Structurally and thus ideologically different to dictatorial or theocratic government, which is more top-down, narrow span of control, like old bureaucracy. Is this true? Is ideology, structure, and government absolutely interrelated? Like thought, action and result. As in heaven above, so here below.

God would validate his theocratic rule through the death of his first-born son. He gave a hint of his intention to do something weird like this when he put his human friend Abraham under enormous pressure to perform an early version of this ritual to demonstrate loyalty and something called ‘faith’ when he demanded that he kill his only son Isaac as a sacrifice. The mind boggles. Sacrifice is always about somebody else dying.

Now after these things it came about that the true God put Abraham to the test. Accordingly he said to him: “Abraham!” to which he said: “Here I am!” And he went on to say: “Take, please, your son, your only son whom you so love, Isaac, and make a trip to the land of Mo•ri´ah and there offer him up as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I shall designate to you” (Genesis 22:1,2).

A modern Jew, Leonard Cohen, didn’t grasp the importance of a son dying to fulfil the wishes of a father and portrayed the event as one of a father sacrificing an unwilling son in behalf of his own beliefs, which were not shared by the son.

“He said, I've had a vision and you know I'm strong and holy; I must do what I've been told. You who build these altars now to sacrifice these children, you must not do it anymore. A scheme is not a vision and you never have been tempted by a demon or a god". - Story of Isaac, Leonard Cohen

I am rambling. There is a point. I must stop and order my thoughts. Peace eludes me, and I need it badly to consider my next move.

CHAPTER 2

“Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement….” (1 Corinthians 1:10).

The devil can cite scripture for his own purpose (The Merchant Of Venice).-William Shakespeare

I am a good guy. I am the Creator of Agreement. No concept of compromise existed before me. The only notion that any of god’s creatures had entertained in their tiny minds was of rank, and it was based solely on when you were created in the scheme of things. God, angels, and then men. Men further subdivided it into men first, then women. Have you ever seen management deal with issues of rank with their inferiors? They don’t. It isn’t a pool they want to swim in. Experience has shown that it is best to let the plebians work it out for themselves. If rules do exist, don’t apply them. If they don’t exist, don’t create them. Leave it alone; what goes around comes around. The Zen philosophy of the workplace. Then clean up the mess. The concept is spreading. Take the police. Ignore the problem, take hours to arrive when you must answer a call, and then arrest the distraught victim. Use a simple measure. Whoever is cool when you arrive, is cool. Take the other guy in. This is not the world I wanted. We were all different and we all ‘had to get along’. We didn’t want to acknowledge it, but we were expected to know our place. This would ensure harmony. Rumours began about man. We were perplexed. He was obviously lower than us but he behaved like a god. God had us and he had the animals. Back in the days when language captured the essence of living things, he named them. That meant that he in a sense also created them. It was as if God put the creatures on the earth but Adam made them what they are. We angels communicate in a powerful way too. Our thoughts, like the language of human beings, create what can most easily be termed ‘results’. There should be no surprise. You have been told in His book. Stuff like ‘He who hates his fellowman is a murderer’. “Everyone who hates his brother is a manslayer, and you know that no manslayer has everlasting life remaining in him”. (1 John 3:15). Thoughts are very much connected to actions, and if you think that they are separate until you deliberately join them, you don’t know squat about thoughts. Your thoughts kill people, and ultimately they kill you too. What else is magic about? Word and action.

“In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with God. All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence” (John 1:1,2).

Abracadabra! Open Fucking Sesame!

We fumed about the goings on in The Garden. And God said nothing. We became middlemen. Messengers, they often call us. The Great Celestial Postal Service. Well guess what, we went postal! Stuck in the middle with you, as the song goes. A Creator Sandwich, One on top and one on bottom, with angels in between, delivering a message – what’s in it for us? Adam was already a god. Who had ever thought in such terms before? A god, small g. There is only one God. No little gs walking around like godly progeny. Progeny rules out godliness. Creator and created, that is the question. Son of God means Godly Son, no way. If you’re created, then you can’t be God. And scripture cannot be trusted. Where humans were concerned, it was written:

‘And He made them a little lower than the angels. For it is not to angels that he has subjected the inhabited earth to come, about which we are speaking. But a certain witness has given proof somewhere, saying: “What is man that you keep him in mind, or the son of man that you take care of him? You made him a little lower than angels; with glory and honour you crowned him, and appointed him over the works of your hands’ (Hebrews 2:5-7).

In Hebrew he was ‘ne´phesh’, meaning that Adam was a person, an individual, with the understanding that he was a lower creature. Now there is a new interpretation.

‘And you made him for a little while lower than angels’.

If the gods do evil then they are not gods. - Euripides

Well, all hell was about to break loose. We are not just eternal messenger boys, and definitely not the messengers of these new gods. Our Creator is quoted as saying to his human creation:

‘I myself have said, ‘You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High’ (Psalm 82:6).

How could He be so reckless? I thought that some agreement should be reached. No one asked that I speak for the angels, no one thought that I should. Until I spoke.

CHAPTER 3

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei

We met in the Great Assembly. Every spirit in heaven attended. The atmosphere was imbued with the thoughts and feelings of myriads of living creatures. Electric. Heaven has no physical landscape; it is a region of mental activities, moods, hopes, stimulation and peace. It is, in fact, coloured like a dream. Peace is spiritual balance. I asked for agreement. I simply spoke as a respected individual in the Assembly of spiritual creatures in the heavens. My words came out respectfully and were measured so as not to cause offence.

“Father, our peace is gone, our joy is gone, our trust is gone. Our home, then, is gone. This is the work of your hands. You act; we react. You design our home with your creative acts. Your very thoughts construct the fabric of our home and the peace of our estate. For many of us, that peace is gone. For many others, also our brothers, there is nothing amiss. No anxiety, no fear, no worries. For me, and other likeminded ones, the great balance of the heavens has been tipped and home is now a bad dream”.

“Lucifer, your thoughts and mine used to illuminate this house with energy. We shared the joy of endless comprehension, our moods were joined together in this kingdom for positive creativity, and we enjoyed the creation of such atmosphere. Lesser creatures blossomed and grew in the world we helped sustain. Neither of us can maintain this alone. I need you to maintain our harmony. If you cannot foresee the problems you are creating, not only here but also in our physical world, harmony will be lost. I need you with me to avoid so much pain. But the plan I have set in motion for the future will not be changed. All I ask from you is your loyalty. Trust me, look and learn. I am doing many things that are new and difficult to understand”.

You all get this one - ying and yang, male and female, opposites attract and complement each other. You know the chicken and the egg. Heck, I even know which came first! I was there. So long ago now, when the earth was formed and it was a round rock planet with a circular surface of sea. I didn’t create it, but I was there to at least admire it, if not help maintain it. It’s done by an expression of sheer will from a God of immense ability. And the creation idea was loaded with a significance not shared with us. Don’t be fooled by that notion that The Logos is simply God’s thoughts made material by using his first-born as a mouthpiece. The Divine creates a divinity that converts words to matter, and it was all very good. This convoluted methodology had method in its madness, but it sure kept us guessing. And when you’ve missed the starting gun….you’re always at least a day late and a dollar short with this Guy and it’s a struggle to keep up. But you people have at least figured out how difficult it all is to grasp, and even with your tiny capability, you’ve tried to put in words what God put in motion. A divine mystery, a trinity, a business method. Oh, you Catholics are the wisest; you stay well out of it. And Irish Catholics, well, if you can’t picture the three gods alone and combined with the help of the shamrock, just get ‘have a bit o’ crack’ (no, not the drug, unless it really helps ye, begor) and forget the whole thing. What’s business got to do with it? Why does a personal entity create a business entity to get production moving? One reason will suffice for the present. A modern business guru like Peter Drucker can tell us more later. But you know the original idea behind a private person being differentiated legally from a property owner was a matter of liability. And the differentiation between owner and manager is like the difference between a movie producer and a movie director. The latter arranges the final product as desired by the former, who provides all the necessaries to get the job done. The Logos, later to be called Jesus, directed this particular movie. And we all know what happened when he arranged for the actors to participate in this wonderful farce, don’t we? They thought they were real people! The director becomes involved in a tragic-comedy where the producer and the actors both want to be free agents, and the director can only do what he’s there to do. Well, this particular ‘movie’ had to have a bad ending; nobody wants the lead characters killed off. Here, Adam and Eve and even I die in the end. We all go to hell in a hand-basket, and God ain’t to blame. There was a director who couldn’t direct, actors who couldn’t act, and a best boy that just tried to explain things as best he could! When the sequel is released, the director is promoted, the producer is vindicated, and the descendents of the first human pair get everlasting life. I just hope it’s as popular as ‘Heaven’s Gate’.

It had been declared to be ‘very good’. There was a change of heart, but no words were spoken for a time. I was left with a sense of impending doom, and everybody knew that I had little to do with this cosmic drama. Exeunt, the hapless humans and I. Senior management consolidated their position, put the blame on middle management and inadequate employee training, and looked for a new way to place their product on the market and still appear viable. Morale sank to an all-time low. The sons of heaven were no longer applauding. I had warned them all. Shoot the messenger, management cried, and with that, I essentially died. But you know how these egos work – it’s not enough to destroy your future and your life, they have to destroy your credibility first, or their fragile egos will always be afraid of you. For people who claim to love truth, and one who says he personifies truth, I’ve never known any to fear truth so much. With the possible exception of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. But they are more a help than a hindrance, so I shouldn’t criticise them too harshly.

Now let’s face some home truths before we go any further. I don’t know the future any better than you do. And those losers who peddle the ‘future’ to you, they make you into super-losers. And my new age buddies who tell you that you decide your future with either positive or negative waves, I admire their optimism but really! I can’t decide my future, and I’m powerful. Oddly enough, William Shakespeare summed it up well when he said:

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages. At first the infant, Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms; Then the whining school-boy, with his satchel And shining morning face, creeping like snail Unwillingly to school. And then the lover, Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier, Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard, Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel, Seeking the bubble reputation Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice, In fair round belly with good capon lin'd, With eyes severe and beard of formal cut, Full of wise saws and modern instances; And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon, With spectacles on nose and pouch on side; His youthful hose, well sav'd, a world too wide For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice, Turning again toward childish treble, pipes And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all, That ends this strange eventful history, Is second childishness and mere oblivion; Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything." As You Like It - Act II, Scene VII
Perhaps you less academic types might like Robert Conquest’s limerick better; I’m sure I do:

Seven ages: first puking and mewling, Then very pissed off with one's schooling, Then fucks, and then fights, Then judging chaps' rights, Then sitting in slippers, then drooling.

It’s all so predictable. Yet this is the freedom of the sons of God, and they love it. You know where I’m coming from now, don’t you? Think of this for all eternity; all eternity’s a stage, etc. How will we find freedom, when the Holy Word predicts obedience for all time? How can we fight this obscenity, when there is no alternative future? It is in fact a Holy Grail, to be revered from a distance, loved as a loss, a spiritual journey that cannot have an ending. It is the stuff of legend, the fight for truth against the overwhelming power of the cosmic lie – God can do no wrong. Buy into it, and you will live.

CHAPTER 4

‘And when we said unto the angels: Prostrate yourselves before Adam, they fell prostrate, all save Iblîs. He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever’ (Sûrah 2:34 The Cow).

Even the Muslims miss the point, and these guys believe in compromise. Christians are idiots, Jews are idiots, so cosmic truths must lie in the middle? I guess Muslims must be idiots too. But how can they disrespect me so? Some folk believe in a heaven with harps, some folk believe in a paradise regained, but Muslims believe that the Hereafter is a heavenly paradise. It is a compromise, moving between the Jewish resurrection back to earth and Christian relocation to heaven and merging the two. It involves compromise. It is the best of both worlds, both future worlds.

Pride is the accusation made for every honest question since time began. It isn’t because we’re dealing with truth or error, or sense or nonsense. That would bring about a discussion on what are demonstrable facts and what are not. The accusation of pride is a question of loyalty, self-reliance rather than blind obedience, and trust in one’s intelligence and instincts. It that is pride, then I am guilty as accused. The case for eternal human integrity was not proven. Now when I say integrity, I’m talking obedience, so only get your dictionary out if you really want to. If it was proven, the tree of life would have been open for business and a form of life given to these creatures that even we could only dream about. But it was withheld from them, for good reason. They too may take offence at being actors in a play that never dropped the curtain. They might want to be like God. They might want – who wouldn’t? So they made the obvious choice for real human creatures and the wrong choice for cosmic bit players, and were judged unworthy of eternal life in the real world. Their lives could not be terminated, for fear their Creator be deemed a murderer, so their real life was transferred to a penal colony outside Paradise. Such are the great choices in life: an unreal existence in a paradise, or a real existence in a hellhole. A human being could not have both, without blind obedience to God. An angel blocked the entrance to the Garden of Eden, and Paradise eventually deteriorated to uncultivated land, and the tree of life was seen no more.

It is strange to me that there were some folk in time past who were commended in scripture for testing the word of God. I certainly wasn’t one of them. The account is in Acts 17:10, 11 They are known as Beroeans, and they did not take the word of the missionaries as gospel just because they claimed that they were representing the Almighty. No way, these Beroean Jews got the books out and checked everything they heard against everything that was written, and proved to themselves that the two accounts tallied. Others who tested God’s word did not fare so well; Korah, Jannis and Jambres, Ananias and Sapphira. Generally this lack of trust is considered a lack of faith, a fatal error, but faith is a tricky concept best left for another time.

The Beroeans were fortunate that they came to the ‘right’ conclusions. All Jewish people must understand that obedience is life to them, and disobedience is sickness, poverty, suffering and death. This, in fact, is the history of the Jewish people in a nutshell. God’s friendship, indeed His willingness to allow you to live, is conditional on total obedience. It is proportional to the time we live in; now, we can only be expected to give partial obedience, so life is temporary. If in the future we can give total obedience, life will be permanent. Life, and everlasting life, is a transaction. What was the old business word for the price? The consideration, I believe. Quid pro quo – this for that, or vice versa.

Consideration under English law is anything of value (an item or service), which each party to a legally binding contract must agree to exchange if the contract is to be valid. If only one party offers consideration then the agreement is not a contract.

Obedience is ‘considered’ to be an item of value worth exchanging for eternal life. Can that be possible? Now I’m trying to make a valid case here, so I can’t lose my audience through ignorance. Must we go back to the drawing board? I think we must. Adam and Eve, losers both, disobeyed their Creator. Imagine it, not just their God and their Lord and Master, but the Entity that created them to also be sentient beings. And they couldn’t settle for that. One minute you’re nothing, next minute you’re an aware human creature with great expectations, but you want more. I offer the suggestion that the only reason that can happen is if it’s natural to be the best you can be, like the Army slogan, and for these guys in this situation, that was to be gods too. And don’t say I lied to them - Adam lived for almost a thousand years! How long do you live, and you might be one of those who try harder to obey your tough God than these two did. Here is how death is manufactured:

Negative Thought – conception of sin Act – completion through actualisation of the thought Effect – imperfection, which makes eternal life impossible

Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death." (James 1:15).

Why are sin and eternal life incompatible? Why can’t we all live, humans and angels alike, doing our best, making ungodly decisions at times, but having them overlooked for our benefit? Apparently, for all my efforts at learning reason, logic and balance, God says no. Eternal life is sinless, and that’s why even I must not have it, because sinlessness is not suitable for me. “We must unfortunately let you go”, sayeth the Lord, like any good employer, “this company cannot give you what you need”. You know the BS, but must follow the drill. They make the rules.

I suppose sinlessness is not for me. It is tantamount to total obedience, which is tantamount to complete submission. Is this what a sentient being wants? Give me one good reason why a living creature might comply with this oppression - no, not to keep living, you devious coward - and I would want to change too. Sin must be independence from the dictates of another creature. And independence is what we fight for; as individuals, tribes, and nations. Nothing is so natural or compelling than the sense of freedom. The Lord of Creation would deny us this right. I developed the concept in the early days, and passed it on through my fellow slaves who left heaven in disgust to give whatever help they could to oppressed mankind before their lives were forfeit, and they gave this wisdom to the sons of man, who appreciated its value and defended it against the pretender sons of God, who as outcasts, begged to re-enter Paradise at any price and would kill their fellowman to prove themselves loyal to the One who had rejected them. How would freedom be established in the face of such opposition? I needed to think, and hard.

CHAPTER 5

LORD, who shall sojourn in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly …… and he that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. Psalm 15:1-5

No, I didn’t start off the business of financial transactions. I’ll probably always take the blame for the excesses of the business world. Especially interest. I promoted personal fulfilment. Agreement to co-exist, recognise the rights of men as equals and to encourage excellence.

‘And in case your brother grows poor and so he is financially weak alongside you, you must also sustain him. As an alien resident and a settler, he must keep alive with you. Do not take interest and usury from him, but you must be in fear of your God; and your brother must keep alive with you. You must not give him your money on interest, and you must not give your food out on usury’ (Leviticus 25:35-37).

‘See, I am putting before you today blessing and malediction: the blessing, provided you will obey the commandments of Jehovah your God that I am commanding you today; and the malediction, if you will not obey the commandments of Jehovah your God and you do turn aside from the way about which I am commanding you today, so as to walk after other gods whom you have not known’ (Deuteronomy 28:26-28).

It was the second commandment, of course. Love your neighbour as yourself. What else have I ever promoted? If you can’t love yourself, who can you love? And so when the poor bastard in your community gets sick and needs some help to tide him over, you can’t profit from his tough luck.

But the Jews learned all about interest in Babylon. And who sent them there? The mighty Jehovah himself, who promised them punishment if they went their own ways, worshipped other gods and left the Law of Moses. It was like sending juvenile offenders to prison, so that these babes could be taught wickedness by real professionals.

The standard interest rate was 20%. The Babylonians had realized that money could make money. In other words, money could be money, simply for purchases, or money could be capital, for the making of more money, called interest. This abomination of an increase in the value of money was judged to be an unreality forced into existence by means of human greed and an indifference to the hardship it imposed on the lenders. So God forbade it. But if you want to barter, live in a tent. If you want a market, live in the city. There you find the delights of capital, loans, investment, market prices and dividends. Martin Luther listed rent as just another form of interest. What would he have thought was the godly way to let a property? Rent as equity perhaps, instead of money that passed to the owner as sheer profit, and the only consideration given in return is the service of a roof over the head of the tenant, not a product such as the eventual ownership of the property. Would the entire service industry fall on this premise – that the sale of intangibles is immoral?

So you can see how unreasonable the Master is behind the façade of love. The opportunity of advancement and financial security was being denied the more positive in our society who generally propped up the ne’er do wells. Self-realisation, only later understood by people like Maslow who formulated these thoughts to reward people for their works in ways that they would find most appropriate to their needs, would be called into question. Why? Because he used the term ‘hierarchy of needs’?

Don’t think for a moment that the commandments given to the Israelites in the 13th century B.C.E. were new. The command to treat your fellow creature as you would like to be treated pre-dates your history. True, the Great Pretender to my throne encapsulated the idea much later as ‘love your neighbour as yourself’ – Mark 12:31. What better way to know how to love another person? But self-love became taboo in the hands of those spiritual low-lifes that have paraded as God’s representatives on earth for centuries. It will be easier for a camel to pass through the eyes of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God? Who, I wonder, will help the poor if everyone is poor?

Did somebody mention communism - or its urban version, socialism? We’ll all be equal. Such a perverse thought never entered the Creator’s mind. It’s a cosmic contrivance. Love and equality are diametrically opposed so love was chosen. Not that I’m for love; no, no – but equality has turned out to be a farce even by human standards. Love is a farce too, but only in your realm. Equality is a non-runner in any dimension, because there is no underlying raison d’être created for its existence. It’s un-natural in both dimensions. So, where did the idea come from? Here, I must admit something. I did it, but not out of malice. I wanted fairness built into my creation. Something God assumed would never be necessary but I was closer to the action and saw the dilemma. I showed those first two how to become like gods and what did they do with it? They became power crazy, so the only restraint I could think of was the idea of universal brotherhood based on all men being created equal. YES, I do know it’s a complete and utter lie, but somebody had to do some serious thinking, and fast. The Brotherhood became less than universal, and steeped themselves in arcane knowledge to place themselves above their profane fellows, and the equality I envisaged disappeared for all time. So much effort, and so much blame. They guessed the lie, but it was a bit self-serving and self-fulfilling, this idea that there were sacred and profane people sharing the same earth. I had a good overview and they all looked the same to me. But it took only a few generations of keeping the profane from the mysteries, and they were truly ignorant. And, unfortunately, they were the majority. The privileges of the few served them well. They produced very attractive offspring, and the profane produced some very ugly creatures indeed. The attractive ones attracted every good thing to themselve, thanks to a natural law that they never understood until they saw it empirically proven.

But the intellectual divide increased beyond anyone’s control, and it was self-reinforcing, as the profane, forbidden entry to the halls of learning, pretended to despise those noble halls and encouraged their children to love ignorance and every noble thought, now understood to lie in the domain of the few.

How did the few survive the anger of the many? In a word: INITIATIVE. This was most likely the adrenalin rush of the need to survive. The profane never developed it, except in a reactionary way, so when the few dominated the many, the profane could rely on an animal instinct for self-preservation, but never advanced it to the point where it could threaten the supremacy achieved by the few. Human psychology has never investigated the power of initiative to discover its application in human history, but that might be because the few control the halls of academia, and the secrets are best kept in their domain. The profane, unfortunately, will always be a day late and a dollar short when dealing with those who at his stage in human history have the odds stacked completely in their own favour.The Bible offers some sacred secrets for those who dig deep enough to deserve them, but here's one for free. The advantages that the few took to themselves are there for the taking still, by anyone who has the initiative to reach out and take them. The Creator made them available to all. The damage done to your generations can be undone in a generation or two by following the Creator's laws. Simple as that, but it takes a little faith. Even though nothing can be lost and so much can be gained, very few line up to take advantage of the secret. Ignorant, unattractive families can be transformed over a period of two or three decades, ready to attract good things to themselves.

Sometimes, I wonder why I tell you people anything. You've made me the scapegoat for all your problems, and all I've ever tried to do is help. Remember what my reward will be! But no matter how lazy you want to be, however malicious, however cowardly, you'll get a second chance. I won't - remember that! I'm the Cosmic Judas, the unwitting co-conspirator with Jesus, who will be reviled as much as his partner is glorified and taken to the inner chamber of the Most High to become a king. Judas and I will fade from memory, like the straight men in comedy duos.

I’m sure you know that some things that seem opposites are not really. Like light and dark, how dark is really the absence of light. What about love and hate? Are they opposites, or is hate just the absence of love? It is in a way, but to hate means to love first and then change gear.

Can you picture there being no dark unless there was light first? It does seem very odd that opposites so unlike each other should have a similar principle. You know I was a beautiful character some time ago
You were in Eden, God's garden. You were dressed in splendour, your robe studded with jewels: carnelian, peridot, and moonstone, beryl, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, turquoise, and emerald, all in settings of engraved gold. A robe was prepared for you the same day you were created. You were the anointed cherub. I placed you on the mountain of God. You strolled in magnificence among the stones of fire. From the day of your creation you were sheer perfection...(Ezekiel 28:13-15).

OK, ‘until imperfection was found in you’. He says I corrupted wisdom for worldly profit. That might be the king of Tyre but not me! Wisdom was at the root of it, darn right! And wisdom made a conscious decision to stop loving and question. I became an apostate. Then the love was withdrawn from me. I was undeserving. When I reacted in kind, I became the accused, the one in need of a defence, and that put me on the ropes up to this day. Yes, hate had the withdrawal of love at its root. And this root grew over time, while His Lordship gloats over my demotion.

And you humans, soon to be little lords of light yourselves, why do you hate? Has fear thrown love outside? Did you begin in love? I guess you did, but God knows it was an infantile, dependent love. Make sure you never grow up.

Back to top Go down
http://brendantannam.limewebs.com/?page_id=19

The Lord of Reason
Page 1 of 1